Friday, August 25, 2017

No longer necessary, ...


It takes energy to stay informed. The world seems smaller or at least closer now and my younger self-was so wrong about the need to advocate soon to be unnecessary.

At age 17, I actually thought all the important fights had been fought: that advocacy for causes on the side of good & right were no longer necessary. An eighteen-year-old could now vote. There was an end in sight for Vietnam War. The Civil Rights struggles would now be history lessons. Even at 28, I was still in the shallows. Iran Contra seemed 'nothing' compared to Vietnam. I had just served two years in VISTA but failed to connect the dots between the Criminal Justice System I found broken and the failed of Civil Rights Activism and Acts. At 33 I became a community leader by title; a full calendar with tasks and topics: reproductive rights, recycling, voter engagement as President of the League of Women Voters of New Haven. I got swallowed up in the consensus agendas for several years. I did not stay a member after this immersion. I needed to retreat. I did however find another nonpartisan venue: Community TV.

My shallows
Was I a victim of my shallows, my education and media choices?  Did I measured the value of the revolts by the numbers of participants I observed as reported on TV?  Was broadcast news a real window on the world? The Vietnam war was piped into our homes daily. How did it really deepen my understanding of the world or the why of it. Ironically I read Gloria Steinem My Life on the Road to discover so much context for my life.  It was a gift and is truly that.

Today I can stand with those saluting the American flag and taking a knee during the Anthem. While I enable free speech in my daily pursuits, I can not stand with anyone who condemns civil protests.
Much in the world will continue to need advocacy, including Mother Earth herself. Symbols and words have power.  Choose wisely. 

No comments: